Sunday, June 26, 2011

Orientation almost over

Hello there dear readers. I hope that everything is going well. I am speaking to you from the other side of orientation. Well, not quite. I have 2 more days to go. Tomorrow I take the ACLS exam and then on tuesday I learn the electronic medical record. Then I have 2 days off and the I officially start with my first day as an intern.

So, according to my schedule I am spending my first month in the Emergency Department. Kind of ironic in that this is what I was originally trying for. However, I get to be on call in the ICU and THAT is what I AM going for. Then I do 1 month in the Intensive Care Unit. I will be happier than a pig in shit.....Then I get a month of elective, which I may either stay in the ICU, or do pulmonary. Although I am leaning towards ICU. My hours are probably 7a-5p unless I am on call, then my hours increase until 10:30pm. But I am psyched.

This whole week in orientation, I was anxious and excited and scared at the same time. I am anxious and excited to start, but I am also scared that I do not know much....this is normal for all new interns. But I started reading. I read the NEJM every day and I am going to be adding 1-2 hours per day of a pertinent subject. I will take 1 or 2 cases and read all about them.

In the meantime, have been reading "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. It is about the meatpacking industry at the turn of the century. Since the Kindle is a free app for android, the book is available for free as well. So when there is a break, or lunch, or I am in line I break out the phone and read the book. It is a nice diversion from everything else.

   
Until Next time.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on orientation being almost over. Hope you start smoothly. I enjoy reading your blog! Thanks for the great inspirations!

    ReplyDelete