Monday, November 28, 2011

Almost 1/2 way done

Hello there dear readers. I know, I know. It has been far too long since my last posting. I bet you thought that I forgot about this little blog of mine. Well, I did not. I have just been so tired that I have not had the chance to sit down to write. Of course, right now I am taking a break from writing my grant in order to write my blog. But alas, so it goes.

Since my last update, I have been done with my first time on the medical floors and now I am almost done with Cardiology. Both have been great to do. In addition, I have had clinic time each month. In fact, today I was told the best thing ever. I had a patient come in and say that she wanted me to be her Primary Care Physician!!! How about that. Although I am getting used to it, I still find it hard to believe that this is real. But now there are new challenges.

The biggest one is that of finances. Now that loans are starting to come off of their grace period, I have to get on the ball and call them back to get them onto deferment. No, I did not wait until the last minute but these things are very confusing. I mean I apply for it and first they tell me that I am in deferment until 2014 and then they tell me that I am not. Well that is not a nice thing to do to a guy who is very tired and works about 80 hours a week. Next there is trying to refinance a mortgage in this economy, good luck. And finally there is trying to get back on our feet financially. Well, I decided that we are obviously going to need help and so there is an appointment to be made with a financial planner.

The other challenge is trying to spend enough time with everyone. Yes, I did lapse a little in my Daddy/Daughter time and I am trying to get that back on the role. However, I also need time for the wife and myself. At least the time for myself should not be at the library writing a grant. But rather maybe reading a non medical magazine or going out with a friend (which I am planning). I did find out that our babysitter can come back from college with enough notice. Phew, now the wife and I can plan some outings. As long as I am not on call or post call. That is something I would advise those parents who want to go to medical school. Not only should you find a babysitter, but have several back up ones as well. They do come in handy. Sure you can find one or two or three amongst your classmates, but also have a local teen or two who are available as well.

Not much else to report. Other than the upcoming local NonTraditional Conference in March. I am going to try to get back into Paintball, I had so much fun with it and I have a cousin who is really into it. Always nice to have a hobby other than driver of kiddoes to birthday parties. Till next time.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings:

    I am a finance professional looking to make a career change and go into medicine. I am 41 with three kids and currently the CEO of a medical consulting company.

    I'll trade you financial advice for your life story about successfully completing medical school. Email me at rroth14215@gmail.com if you want to explore further.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete